View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaroc
High Councilor

re: First "Weekend" of Alpha

Here's my first weekend experience with the Alpha.  Not much to it, I'm afraid...

Bought the $60 Explorer pack a long time ago.  I was really surprised, then, that the Alpha had launched Jan 31st -- I wasn't expecting it until February 28th, as all prior information had stated.  Rushed home after work to put my $60 investment to good use.... and then RL stepped in and said "Nope".  So, all I got to do was start the download process.  I think it was just after midnight that I was able to log in the game for the first time.

I was lagged.  REALLY badly lagged.  It took a good 3 minutes to get into my inventory to be able to equip stuff (as per the video).   I was surprised to find that I didn't just have the Explorer Alpha gear, but the Trailblazer gear as well.  WHAT?!  Checked my CC statement - shows I only paid $60  -- oh well, I'll chalk it up to the first bug in Alpha.  It's a lot better than people reporting they didn't get anything.

Everything was too laggy to play.  FPS was sitting at a nice 50-60 while I was looking at the ground, but as soon as I would try to move, it would drop to 0.    Swinging at the ground with my pickaxe was ok.... but looking anywhere but the ground or sky, no dice.

I thought it was my graphics settings, since they were set somewhat high.  Nope.  Turned everything to Low.  Besides my character resembling Shrek with white hair - no improvement.   All I could do to be able to test anything was stare at the ground.  And swing my pick at the ground.  I made a fairly decent hole in the earth, but that's about it.  I have over 22k stone and 40k dirt.  Not much you can do with stone and dirt, I'm afraid.

Checked the forums to see if others were experiencing the same.  A lot of posts recommending updating your graphics drivers, and changing stuff in the Nvidia control panel.   So, I started the driver update process -- and crashed my computer fairly hard.  Somehow, the driver uninstall failed, so the install of the new driver would fail. 

I gave up, and went to bed.   After a busy day of running around, I finally got to fix my graphics issues, and get everything installed on my laptop as well.... but didn't have time to actually log in.

So, I tried again today, woke up extremely early so I could get in some game time before RL figured out that I am not allowed any relaxation time on the weekends anymore.   Apparently SOE had a few problems over the weekend that they are STILL trying to sort out.  Everything is written up fairly well on the Alpha forums, so I won't re-post it here.

I'm impressed from what I saw so far, though, which was just some really dirty looking ground, and some really open looking sky... which may or may not be because of my graphics issues.  SOE has been REALLY communicative with the community.  

I hope they resolve whatever is plaguing them right now, so I can report more later.

'Roc 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> EQN: Landmark All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: