Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint;
Saint

re: Help need a new PC

Help I ned to find a new pc and do not have a clue on what to get. Oh yeah and I only have about $1000. to spend and that is pushing it.

I do know that i want at least an i5 or i7 cpu, at least 8 mb RAM and a 1 gig video card. Anything more then that I have no clue.

I have been looking at buying one from Cyberpower but alot of reviews are less then happy.

Any advice, I am looking to buy in the next month or so.
Gerhart STC
High Councilor

Awarded:

Saint,
Not sure what you price point was. I had some existing equipment to reuse in mine that I discussed in this thread...

http://sanctuscovenir.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8309260&gid=142626

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

I put together the machine but have been lacking time to install my OS so I have been playing on my old machine. I cannot say how good it runs other than the BIOS is awesome!
Jethaya
Saint

Awarded:

hey Gerhart what video card do you use with this ?

seems like the new ivy bridge chips get a lot of good reviews too

Awarded:

I have an old MSI Lightning 5870 that I will likely replace soon. It was top of the line when I bought it 2 years ago, but I am not happy with it.
Saint;
Saint

after a little but of searching this is what i am thinking. this will be the first i have built myself so any suggestions would be really helpful.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Jethaya
Saint

Awarded:

seem like good choices exept for the rosewell power supply
i had one and really hated it the thing was poorly made
i sugest you invest in a thermaltake or a cool power
i think its worth it the rest of your equipment is really nice

but this is just my personal view maybe others have gotten good result with a rosewell unit

Jeth

Awarded:

The only thing I was going to mention was the size of the power supply. I had some issues with one of my video cards drawing too much power and since video cards can be upgraded so easily, having a little more power is good. Personally, I would go for 900 to 1k watts, but that is so you do not need to upgrade your power supply.

Do you have an old optical drive? You will at least want that (they are so cheap).

Do not forget your operating system which if you buy the real version (non-OEM) can run $180.

Note that I ended up buying the i-7 3770 Ivy for my computer as microcenter has a fantastic deal where they were nearly as cheap as the i-5's were on newegg. They still have them far cheaper (just checked). I have one locally so I do not know about shipping. Check them out as you may be able to save money on your i-5 chip.

The great thing about newegg is that you can put stuff on your wishlist and then wait for deals or rebates to pop up.

Good luck with building. I made sure I read the manuals multiple times for everything as it can be a little daunting especially putting together the CPU Cooler and connecting to a motherboard.
XChang
Saint

I've been super happy with my Rig and it was put together just slightly over $1k.

Always start with the best Base you can get. Asus and Intel is your best base for any PC rig. Intels and Workhorses and Mid- to high-end Asus boards are solid as a rock.

Sir Kindrik

Saint; wrote:
after a little but of searching this is what i am thinking. this will be the first i have built myself so any suggestions would be really helpful.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Just some opinions, take them as you will:

Rosewill: I do not recommend any product from this company, I've just had to many issues with them when I built my wife and I's PC about a year ago. My biggest gripe was with the case I bought, however I've got them working.

For your Power supply, I highly recommend Corsair. I bought one for the first time and have been impressed to date. 750W may be a little over what you need, however gives you a little room for extra items if you need it. I wouldn't go higher unless you are going to be running multiple video cards and a lot of peripherals.

Motherboard: I haven't heard or had any experience with ASRock.

CPU Cooler: You can use the stock one that comes with your Intel CPU (it's what I am using) unless you plan on overclocking. Save you a little bit of cash.

HD: SATA3 and at least 7200RPM, good choices.

Here's our PC layout that I did for $1.1k with Windows 7 budgeted in. I've really enjoyed it so far, and it plays WoW/D3 with almost everything max (Low Shadows, View Distance and Ground Clutter not max more to do with me being on Satellite, else I'd have the maxxed), and high FPS.

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Note: I usually go ASUS, however the last PC's I built with ASUS had many many issues with the motherboards on both of our PCs. This time around I went with GIGABYTE...unfortunately I had a bad experience in mine with the SATA3 HD Controller. So I'm up in the air if I would go with them again or not.
CPU: Intel i5 2.8 GHZ QuadCore (Core i5-760 Lynnfield)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (2x4GB)
Video Card: MSI Cyclone N460GTX
(I did not include Case, HD in the above, which were part of my 1.1K cost.)

Last edited by Sir Kindrik on 2012/07/14 9:16; edited 1 time in total
Saint;
Saint

Thanks for the advice. I think that i will change the power supply to the cooler master. i have not really read anything good about the rosewill. It seems the more i read about it the more I keep changing my mind about things.

Like going with the gigabyte motherboard instead of the Asus.
The one thing that I have stayed with is using the i5 Ivy bridge. For the money, $189. at mirco center, it seems the best to use.

I am still in the process of making up my mind so any other thougths would be helpful

thanks
Saint;
Saint

Thank you everyone for the advice. When all is said and done this is what I have gone with. everything is on order so I can't really say how well it is working.

Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I/HDMI/D-Sub SLI Ready Graphics Card

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache

and a LG 24x DvD/CD burner

I am hoping it will all go together well. Just have to wait and see. Thanks again for all the advice it helped alot
Gerhart STC
High Councilor

Awarded:

Lots of luck putting your computer together!!!
Sir Kindrik

Aye, good luck and have fun ;) If you end up with any questions during the build, post and we'll do what we can to help.
Saint;
Saint

*whisles* still waiting on parts. no comment
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: