Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Kindrik

re: Anyone CCNA, CCNP, CCIE?

I'm looking to purchase a home test lab, and just wondered if anyone else had any insight, etc., to share on the following:

* Recommended sites to purchase from?
    * Recommended number of routers and switches in setup?
    * Recommended Models for routers and switches?

I want to go this route so I can learn on physical equipment as well as try to break it as much as possible to learn from fixing it. I also think I can save quite a bit of money and have a good learning experience by going this route vs. the amount of money for 2 classes for CCNA.

From my research thus far, it seems people are recommending 2 routers, if possible go for 3. Models seem to vary, but i've seen recommendations for 2500 series, 2800 series, 1800 series, 2600 series.

As far as switches, 2950.

Thanks in advance,
Kindrik
Sabreth
Sabreth
High Councilor

Kindric,
I am waiting to test for my CCNA. Instead of hardware, use software emulation. GNS3 has been highly recommended and is even used by my previous team lead at home to test out configurations, new commands and to emulate certain aspects of our organizations network. Right now it does NOT run on Win7, hence my not using it. I'm working on setting up a linux box for this and other software to mess around with at home.

Otherwise the CCNA refers to 2600 series routers and 2950 switches (which simplifies things greatly, fewer VLANs to worry about) so I would seek acquiring those. Sometimes companies do tech refreshes and sell/donate their old equipment. I'd put word out that you're needing the hardware for your certifications and see what you hear back from there. Craigslist is always a good start for that.

High Councilor

Couple of other notes: get familiar with major IOS revisions - the test will have questions about different versions as well as different types of IOS's (say k9 vs enterprise).

As for numbers, no more than 4 routers and 2-3 switches hardware wise. If you decide to use GNS3 then build out your network with at least 6-10 switches.

Hi Sabreth, thanks for this information, it helps a lot. I wanted to try to stay away from emulators given I've heard that the full command set is not always available and I thought I may have a difficult time initially grasping some concepts that may be easier on physical hardware. I will check out GNS3 though, maybe some things have changed.

Good luck on your test!

I'm looking forward to finally getting specialized into something IT wise.
Sabreth
Sabreth
High Councilor

The thing about GNS3 is that if you have an IOS (or a switch/router that you can download the IOS from) you have full command line access. In essence, the emulator utilizes the complete IOS instead of just emulating it. The emulation comes in the fact that you don't need multiple pieces of hardware to create an internetwork lab environment.

Wow that's great news Sabreth, looking forward to taking a look at it.
FaceplantSTC

I bought the home CCNA Virtual Lab Titanium Edition 2.0 (by Sybex) that comes with a DVD and two books CCNA First Press and Cisco Certified Network Associate for about $400 at a book store and even though I have not taken the test yet (next year) have found it very easy to learn from it. You probably can find it on Amazon.

I am looking for a Network admin or a Hardware (A+) Admin willing to relocate to Hawaii. The draw back, you need a TS/SCI and be able to get your Security + within 90 days ( paid for if you pass the test as is most Certs).

Good luck with that CCNA!

PS. This virtual Lab runs on Windows 7.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Virtual-Lab-Titanium-2-0/dp/0470392592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319966067&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ccna+virtual+lab.+titanium+edition+2.0&sprefix=CCNA+Vir

Thanks FaceplantSTC for the links, I'll add those to the possibilities. I'm also looking at physical equipment from: http://www.certificationkits.com/
Sir Kindrik

Purchased a lab from http://www.certificationkits.com and got it setup last night, at least racked :P

* 12U Rack
* 1U Powerstrip
* 2621 Router
* 2620 Router
* 2950T Switch
* 2950 Switch
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Technical Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: