View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alresco
Saint

re: A Battle for Justice

Quote:
Written by Andy Winters, aka Ara, circa 1998

It was a night to remember, one that went from the ordinary to the fantastic. Death was cheated and Justice was served! I, Arathahorn, Saint of the True Covenant, now bring you the tale….

I was in the city of Skara Brae to purchase supplies for my horse, and perchance to buy magical reagents, when I chanced upon the mighty Lord Javan. In a few moments, Blackleaf joined us as we went about our common business at the bank facility there. I exchanged playful pleasantries with the banker Chastity, as is my custom, but much of my humor is often lost on her. Perhaps she is none too bright, alas.

Blackleaf brought us tidings of foul events in the Valley.

"Odysseus the Dread Lord was there, causing much mayhem and mischief," Blackleaf said. "I myself escaped with just a tiny bit of life force left in me. His attack was most foul indeed!"

"Aye," Javan said. "He is known for his villainy and cowardice."

"It is my custom to not grow too attached to my belongings these days," I said, "as many times they are separated from us all too easily."

"Well, what say you, Arathahorn?" asked Javan. "Shall we go forth to the Valley to determine what transpires there?"

"It is a good day to die," I said with a grin.

Unsure of what to expect, but with our full contingency plans discussed and understood, Javan and I proceeded there in search of hides and whatever treasure might come from slaying any foul beasts that might be present there. We did encounter several evil ratmen and a few orcs, but they were dispatched easily by those adventurers gathered there with us. Soon we noticed a steady increase in the number of evil adventure seekers in the vicinity, and decided it was time to be on our way. We bid each other a fond farewell back at the Yew bank, and I left to fetch my horse and check on the situation near the Pegasus Tower before retiring for the evening.

At the Tower, all was well, or so it seemed. I met there with Pransom and Marvin, as well as other good-natured guests. Marvin seemed quite distraught about his recent loss of his horse. It seemed the beast had run wild on him, and he was none too pleased indeed, as this was the second horse that had done so in just a short span of days. Oddly, he seemed to have a large supply of fresh meats, and I wondered at the whereabouts of his first horse. I did not partake, as I was not hungry.

I had completed my survey of the area, and was preparing to leave when suddenly a shout rang out, startling us all.

"The Shrine of Justice is under attack!" the voice shouted.

Turning, we saw a few gentle adventurers fast approaching us from the southeast. They wore a variety of attire and did not seem to be an organized group but instead must have simply raced their way north, probably from Britain, as quickly as they could. By this time, Pransom had finished taming Marvin’s new horse, and Marvin’s mood was much improved.

"What has happened?" I exclaimed, trying to remain calm. I knew all too well that the hunting lodge I share with Elias and Itannar was located very close to the vicinity of the shrine. I wondered if it was still there.

"The shrine has been taken over by foul beasts!" grunted another of the adventurers, breathless from his lengthy journey. "We do not know much more than that," he said.

"What say ye, Saints?" Marvin asked as he loosened his weapons.

Perhaps the evening was not over, I thought, doing the same.

"Let us away!" Pransom cried, and I urged my horse Goliath forward.

There were some half dozen of us who ventured to the northwest around the edge of Pegasus Bay, turning northeast in the direction of the shrine. As I rode along, I prepared myself with magic that would reflect damage and increase my agility and strength. Before we arrived, the sunset had completed, and darkness fell swiftly, the ominous imagery not lost on anyone.

On the north side of the bay, we began to hear the hideous baying of the foul beasts of evil. I had ridden out quickly, in effort to see what was there, but thought better of it and waited for my companions. A mysterious robed figure seemed to float about the area, and my senses told me he was of evil intent. I put this from my thoughts, as we were soon greeted with the sight of dozens of orcs, lizardmen, and ettins. I had never witnessed so many in one place before! Magical spells flew over my head as bolts of pure energy met the foes full on, setting them back in confusion. Soon, the battle was joined as those among us with melee weapons rushed forward to engage the foe.

I tried to keep my wits about me, and thought about how I would contribute to our success, or failure, in this endeavor. My advantages included my horse, and my ability to use the bow from a distance. In addition, I still carried a most bountiful wand of Healing, a gift of the mighty Mandos. Therefore, I would endeavor to help my companions as much as possible. In the midst of such thoughts, I was brutally attacked simultaneously by an orc and a lizardman. I cautiously readied my bow, and backed away from them, unloading arrows into their tough hides from almost point-blank range. Fortunately, Goliath kept me protected as any well-trained war-horse should, and I began to move, hold, and shoot in succession with deadly precision.

The give and take of this action had taken me away from my companions, and after I had dealt with this duo of beasts, I returned to the area only to find the group almost completely overwhelmed. Additional ettins had arrived, along with a few ogres.

"Mercy!" I exlaimed. "This is madness!" A sinking feeling of hopelessness began to fill me. I wondered, would others come to our aid, or would we die an ignominious death here and now?

I tucked my bow away, knowing my modest skills in magical healing would soon be needed. I spotted the noble Marvin, surrounded by three Ettins, single-handedly holding them off, but still looking badly damaged.

"In Vas Mani" came the words of healing. I targeted Marvin and he seemed better for the moment. The fight continued on as the sounds of battle rang out across the land north of the bay. Goliath kept me safe, allowing me to switch back and forth from bow to spell, while fighting two to three beasts at a time. A few additional seekers of adventure had wandered into our midst, but the outcome was far from certain.

As I jaunted about the battlefield, I noticed the corpse of the odd, robed man I had seen at the start of the battle. Could it be he who was behind this vicious attack on our beloved shrine? It also seemed that our group was beginning to get the upper hand in the battle, and that the resolve of the beasts had begun to wane.

But how soon did the tides of war turn! For at this moment, a new, steady stream of lizards, orcs, ettins, accompanied by orc mages, ogres, and even fearsome ogre lords came against us with renewed vigor. I was deeply enraged, and howled a defiant war cry, urging Goliath once again into the fray, hoping against hope that our efforts were not in vain. Could there be any escape? It was a good day to die, indeed.

Then, through the smoke and fog of war, I saw shapes moving toward us from beyond the line of monsters. Were they more allies of evil? Woe unto us, I thought. But then, to my disbelief and joy, striding through the fog was a welcome sight indeed! For I now saw before me the noble Lords Maltros and Javan upon the battlefield. My heart leapt as I moved closer to them. Following them was a group of a dozen or so additional warriors and mages, all acting together to stop the threat.

Wave after wave of monsters came upon us. Soon companions around us began to fall, and I was further disheartened to see many of the supposed honorable combatants stop to loot the grisly kills of others, rather than concerning themselves with the enemy at hand. In the confusion, I could no longer see my Saint companions.

An unnaturally loud, beastly roar rang out over the field. I turned, only to see Javan badly beset by an enormous ogre lord.

"Javan!" I yelled, hoping I could reach him in time. I saw him fall. I was too late, and bitter tears of hatred and anger rolled down my face as I unsteadily raised my bow against the foul beast that slew Javan. Then anger possessed me, and I threw down my bow and called lightning from above down on the ogre, who cried out in pain. Goliath danced about him, and positioned himself directly over the body of the fallen Lord Javan. The next few minutes were a blur, with strange magics pouring forth from me as never before. The ogre lord, already badly damaged by Javan, turned tail and ran, only to meet his death at the hands of other warriors nearby.

I began to gather my fallen Lord’s belongings, shamed that he had fallen instead of me. But I took heart, hoping the magical properties of the Shrine of Justice would return him to me quickly. Goliath buckled at the added weight, and I knew for the moment that I could not test his frayed nerves further. I stood my ground, and used beneficial spells on the combatants around me. Many tense moments passed as I healed warrior after warrior while waiting for Javan’s return.

"Arathahorn!" I heard cry behind me, and turned to see the friendly face of Javan, his body wrapped in gray death robes.

"My lord, forgive me, I was clumsy and slow, and did not arrive in time!"

"Think nothing of it, gentle Arathahorn, for all is well, the battle is not lost!" he replied. His words lifted my spirits, and I handed him his equipment pack. He girded himself, once again the fearsome figure of a Saint at war.

I followed Javan back into the fray, and I knew we were steadily approaching the courts of the shrine itself. I once again saw Pransom, Marvin, and Maltros, all dispensing the justice of Saints upon the vile foes that had been foolish enough to think they could prevail against us. As suddenly as it began, the violence had ended, and an eerie silence blanketed the field after over an hour of the sounds and clashes of battle. As with many great battles, the field was left to the deplorable looters and profiteers of war, but we who were of noble intent banded together and ensured that all were safe.

"Saints, it is time to return to the Abbey," Lord Maltros commanded gently, sensing the prudent action. Noting that my friends around me were well, I bid them farewell and spoke the words of power that would transport me to the Abbey back in Yew. Thanks to the honor and valor of Saints, death would not be served this day. This day the Saints of the True Covenant came together to defend the Shrine of Justice, and indeed, justice was meted out upon the forces of evil.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: