View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
STCadmin
Inactive

re: Origin of Your Toons Name

As the title implies this is a thread to share the origin of your in game name(s). For some of us there are entertaining/interesting stories that go along with our names. Others are simple, so simple sometimes it's funny! There are a lot of interesting names in the guild and would love to hear where they come from and what they mean.
STCadmin
Inactive

Here are some responses copied from our old website:

Sabreth:
The origin of Sabreth.

I've always had an interest in Sabers, something that evolved from loving the lightsabers in Star Wars. I studied different sabers in high school. I even collect them.

For some reason I've always spelled many things that end in *ber as *bre, the english version. When I got into MMO's and RP'ing I needed a name and thought Sabre would fit me well. Didn't work out so well, turns out that Sabre is a popular name -_-.

I tried figuring out a way to keep Sabre, but modify it to be unique and my own. After several iterations (Sabren being one that I use for alts) I came up with Sabre Eth ('The' backwards). Soon though, the two combined to what is now Sabreth. In Shadowbane, SWG, CoH, and beginning of WoW it stood as I was the only one with the name.

Apparently now my name has gotten around as I have ran across a couple on different servers before I landed on Lothar.

Eh, not so funny a story but explains the origin of the name Sabreth =-)

I have a few others that I'll share at a later time =-)

Peneloperose:
Once upon a time, in a house far far away (by foot), I started my adventures in WOW as horde and exclusively horde. Everyone I knew that played was horde. But one magical, enlightening day it came to me.... Penelope Rose... and there could be no other... I felt compelled... I NEEDED to create a pretty little gnome by the name of Penelope Rose. I danced around the room with glee at the thought. A sweet little thing, with a delightful laugh that brought joy to all around her, worshipper of all things cute or purple. And so I left all my WOW companions and set off on my own, to fulfill my destiny as PenelopeRose.

Forum Image

Qordinn:
Hmmm...well, the origin of Qordinn is not appropriate for guild chat...so we'll go with qadariya instead...

I used to tell vlarea (zlor my wife at the time) that people gave her stuff and was nicer to her because she played a female toon in EQ. I decided to create one myself and see how much nicer people would be to her. Now, at the time, EQ had only the original continent and it was rather difficult to go anywhere in Nektulos/EC area and find someone who didn't know me or my constituants (venooq, Ichirosan, Ulaya, etc...). We were all rather close so I had to go to the other side and create a rogue named qadariya (who would later take on the surname of soulpiercer). The qadariya was simply me sticking with the Q theme that I used for all my toons at the time and it was a name that I made up somewhere in my mind. I have since had a female rogue named qadariya in every game I've played, EQ, EQ2, SWG, UO, DaoC, WoW, CoH/CoV, Guild Wars, LotR, Runes of Magic, and umm...whatever else I'm forgetting.

Oh, and people were much nicer to the female toon ;P

Faceplant:
"Faceplant"

I believe that says it all. I thought you were supposed to die.?

Amoul:
The history and meaning of character names is something I've always been interested in and I always enjoy learning the stories behind other people's choices. As for my toon names, there's nothing terribly special about them, but I'll explain below for your mild entertainment.

Amoul Solo:
"Amoul solo" (or more properly "amul solo" is a commonly used phrase in Wolof, a language spoken in Senegal, in West Africa. I spent my formative years there (twelve to eighteen) and started using AmoulSolo as a handle during that time.

The translation roughly works out to "It's not a problem", or "Don't worry about it." It's most commonly used by the party that's in the wrong, or has the most reason to worry about something. For example, let's say I owed you some money and promised to repay you today, but wasn't able to. I might say something along the lines of "Amoul solo, I'll pay you on Friday, I promise."

Some people have equated this phrase with 'hakouna matata', but I can't abide by that nonsense. In my mind, it's less of an "everything is great, don't worry be happy" and more of a "Hey, I might have screwed this up, but don't worry, it's cool."

Amoul Xhalis:
Again, from Wolof. This translates to "I don't have any money." Fitting, as it seems to be a fairly recurring theme in my life.

Iivan Pavel:
I was rolling another Priest, and was out of wolof phrases. Also, as I'm without a doubt the best priest in Azeroth, I needed a name that was fitting of my stature. Hence, the Russian names for John and Paul. The extra 'i' was just for the luls.

Annacabral:
This is left as an exercise for the reader. First person to post below and tell me why I used this name for my bank character wins a shiny 250g.

Gerhart:
Most of my toon names in other games were very bland - a mispelled nickname that serves as my email account handle (jaimacando or Jamaican Don as a former coworker liked to joke) Since I never played a game where a name mattered, I asked my playing partner and cute gnome for help. I knew I wanted a paladin and penny HAD to start another gnome so I decided to be a dwarf to start in the same area (I can't see myself as a gnome). Anyway, I needed a new identity, a new start (sort of how my real life was undertaking). Penny suggested something German (she is well German). I tried a few and they were already taken. I am not quite sure how we settled on Gerhart but it stuck. Since it was my first true WOW character and I couldn't imagine having my "main" be anything but a pally, Gerhart has stuck and is the toon name I identify with the most. It doesn't seem to be an exclusive name if you do a search on the Armory, but that's ok. Nothing exciting but fits the man behind the toon.

Sabreth:
All the Alt's you see in the guild start with "Sabr" to easily denote my alts. However I do have a couple of other Alt names that I haven't found a fitting race/class combo for yet (mainly due to the RP lore I built around them).

First is one of my personal favorites: Barrundia Barduuk (Bar-oon-dee-ah bar-doo-hk). In Shadowbane I already had Sabreth as a basic Ranger, but I needed another alt name for the idea of a Half Giant Barbarian that ran around wreaking havoc. I tried several different names, but they didn't feel right. I started trying different sounding names. By pure chance Barrundia Barduuk popped into my head. It felt right, it felt good, and the name just rolls off of the tongue. In WoW the only race that kinda fits what I built around this name is the Tauren. However, the lore behind Barrundia dictates that he is to be Human-sih in appearance and large. Very large (hey, original character was a half giant after all!). I don't expect to use this name in WoW, but you never know.

Another alt name that I use, and have used in WoW, is Coals Barnikay. If anyone has ever played Fallout Tactics, the opening cinematic is a memorable one as General Barnaky(sp?) lays down more insults in three minutes than one can keep track of! Throughout the game General Barnaky is a mean old coot with a strong sense of duty and loyalty, traits that I liked, so I took his name . Coals however is a name that I created before even Sabreth came around. I forget how I came up with it, but in SWG the name Coals Barnikay received a backstory and some interesting lore. Long story short for this one is that whatever universe/game Coals shows up in, he is an accidental Clone of Sabreth, closer to a manifestation of Sabreth's more evil side (I may post the history and lore of both Sabreth and Coals one day), yet retains a similar sense of honor. Expect to see Coals for the new expansion

Freg:
Freg. Basically my first virtual name that i have used in every game that i have played.

One day i was watching brandon (Gyzz) playing some odd game on the PC (Everquest) it seemed very cool to a youngin like myself at the time, He asked if i would like to make a character on his account which i did though i was stumped on a name. I thought about it for awhile and came up with Fred, my friends used to make fun of me cuz i looked like Fred Flinstone . Fred was obviously taken, so i tried Freg which sort of looked like an upside down d. If i was thinking correctly at the time i would have probably chose Freq, but that just doesnt sound right.

On a side note... Lets blame brandon(gyzz) for my downfall and addiction to mmos!

Saint:
My name was given me by my father since I used part of my real name. When I started in Diablo I needed a name so I used Saint from St.Romain I carried it on from there in one form or another

saint
saint'
saintt
saiint

in Diablo, UO, Star Wars, EQ2 and then WOW. While in EQ2 I thought I needed something a little different so I used the name generator to get Nemaoch. I liked it so I used it and all the different forms of it

nothing very imaginative or much of a story but Saint has always been my main so that is what I start with in all the games I play

Verena:
OK, I'm not going to get as flowery or gushy as Penny.

Verena or Verenå is a female German name. It was the name of my Rottweiler who was the best dog I ever knew.

Partagas is the name of one of my favorite cigars.

Jacobarthur is the first and middle name of my Grandfather and my youngest son.

My Oldest Son Donnie, plays

Fuente, another name of a favorite cigar.

OpusX, Top of the line expensive cigar made by Fuente.

Klausbarbi, German "scientist" who experimented with humans in the death camps. This guy was originally Horde so thats why the evil name.

Gyzz:
I took Gyzzdark from one of my all-time favorite console games, Dragon Force, a Working Designs strategy/RPG for the Sega Saturn. He was the brother of King Goldark, whom was betrayed for the crown of Fandaria. He only makes a brief cameo in the game, but I always thought the name was sort of menacing.

So, back when some of my buddies at the software store where I was working in Lexington started talking about this awesome on-line game called Everquest, I took all of the money I had in the world (poor college student style) and bought EQ and my first 3d card. I tried a couple of race/class combinations, but late my first night I decided to make a Troll Warrior named Gyzzdark. It has been my primary gaming handle ever since.

My current WoW character, Gaffle, is a slang term for grifting or tricking someone that I heard once in a Cypress Hill song. Not very paladin-like, but I thought it had a good ring to it.

Hot:

Most of my toons starting with the Main - Hotblackdesiato started with hot, I thought it would be less confusing for me when people were speaking to my alts if they used Hot. Other hots included Hotreddwarf, Hotandsour Soupdragon, Hotandyet StrangelyCool - was fun choosing the names : )

Doorluggage Cotton as he is known in EQ is my RL name japanese kanji - at least thats what a japanese girlfriend told me - maybe it is actually something more embarassing : ) No room for the full name in Wow - so Doorluggage.

Hotblackdesiato doesnt fit in Wow - but my main [drood] on horde server is Hotblack

One of my other droods on the horde server is Treenleaf - if you are familiar with JRR Tolkein you may recognise it as being from the title Tree and Leaf by Niggle : ) Maybe my new toon will be called Niggle : )

Cheeers

Hotblackdesiato

PS Hotblackdesiato you may think originated as a Rock Band that played at the end of the universe....? Douglass Adams took the name from a real life estate agent [realtor] in the south west of England - I think it still operates. )

Quwalen:
I'll go with Kwalin the hunter as thats what I started wow with. I've always been a LOTR fan. The hobbit is probably my favirote of all the Tolkien lore, and when the unexpected party arrives at bilbo I went off of the dwarves when naming him so. He started as a hunter on Bloodhoof a few months after release of the online version of wow. He had over 350 days played when he traveled to Lothar and found new friends. His whereabouts at the moment are unknown although you can find him and his cousin Quwalin on the armory. Since then I've named every alt in his honor.

Kylan:
Kylan was the name I was using in Diablo 1 when I applied to this guild back in 97. I continued to use it in Ultima Online, Everquest, and a couple other games. It is my name of choice, but in some games I was not able to get it.

I however wanted to make it easy for guild members to identify me in various games. So I adopted the Ky names. ALL of my chars have KY in front of them. So if you see a Ky in the guild roster/online it is most likely me, but not 100% true. I think we have a couple other members that have Ky in front of there names, but very few.

Hence, why you see most members just call me Ky.

Cistern-Casey:
Back in 2000 a RL friend of mine was telling me about a game called Everquest. I said to him, "Whats the point of the game?" His response was, "There is no point." I said, "Yea, but what are you supposed to do?" He said, "ANything you want." After arguing these same responses back and forth like a bad Abbott and Costello routine for the next half hour, I decided I was going to have to see what this game was all about. So I looked it up and started deciding what character I was going to make before I bought it. I decided on a Barbarian Warrior. Then began the arduous journey of deciding on a name. My friend told me that the role of the warrior was a tank. So I figured how cool it would be to have a name that was the Norse, or Viking, or something other, translation for the word tank. It ended up being something like 'Vergabaak'. I thought that sounded lame, so I kept looking. I looked up a list of words that meant tank, and on the list was the word Cistern. Now, in my excitement I did not think of my name basically meaning "septic tank", I just thought it looked cool, so thats what my name was.

As for all of my alts from then until now (other than the random 'Neeky' or 'Ignitian'), and you know there are many, I simply changed the spelling of Cistern to form new words. Crentis (as most of you know my by from EQ2 and WoW), Sitnerc, Necrist, Xistern, etc...
For a while I would make a new alt with a similarly used name just to mess with Dubharach and Brent, who thought I couldnt come up with any more. Names like Rentiscay haha.

So thats how I became known simply as 'Casey'.

Dubharach:
Dubharach - is actually Scots Gaelic. It is two words put together Dubh - 'Doob' (meaning dark, hidden, or black) and Arach - 'Uh Rack' (meaning lizzard in certain areas of Scotland, and flying lizzard in others... more loosely translated... Dragon).

Most all of my toonz have this similar pattern... Liatharach (Red Dragon), the DK named VileDubh (most egregiously dark and sinister). The one warriors name is ScianDubh (which I tried to name properly as Sgaindubh, but WoW choked on that one). Sgain (meaning knife) and again Dubh (meaning dark and hidden). The Sgain Dubh is the knife that we Scots wear in our kilt hose (socks). And it has particular meaning and history.

When we enter into anothers house... we are expected to disarm, save for one weapon. And typically, that one weapon was always hidden and was required to be "brought to the light and seen by God" (made visible). So, we would leave all weapons at the entryway, "unhide" the hidden\"black" knife, and stick it in the top of our right kilt sock. Hense the name Sgain Dubh... the hidden knife.

Coldar:
OK here we go, Psylent - Is what I needed to change it to when brought over to here from the Horde, those of you that used to BG before WOLTK would be terrorized by Sapler as he was known then. I had more time irritating helpless Mana users trying to drink by just sneaking up and sapping them costing them their drink at that time, then when all was deminished I stun-lock and kill them. So then I came over here and Psy to get into the Psyche of players and lent completes it as that is what we do as rogues.

Coldar is what most of you know me as and it is a name truly Near and dear to my heart as it is COL for Collyn my oldest son and DAR for Darryn my youngest. Although I am now a Dwarf Pally and no longer a Dranei Warrior. The humor is still the same ...

Coldarc - See above and I am an Arcane Mage

Mortition:
Friend of mine actually got this game for me for xmas. After I installed it and got to the character selection screen i created a warlock and couldn't figure out a name for him. I turned around and my son was watching the movie "CARS". I watched about 30 mins of it and decided to name my warlock Tamater. After playing for a few months I created several toons and tried to include the "Mater" theme in them so people would know my alts.

Rottenmater (simply a rotten tomato)
Maternator (kinda like a terminator)
Termimater (same as above :P)
Darrthmater (cause im a star wars fan)
Materolla (kinda stole from Motorolla)

Finally came across my DK Mortition which kinda broke my "Mater" theme. Upon creating this Tyenee (my wife) told me that I should name my DK Mortition cause she thought it was a cool name and fit the class.

Palywhacker:
Well mine started when the Paladins on the PVP servers where kicking everyones tail. Including mine on a warrior. So I got tired of it and stared a Paladin to make sure those who mess with me would speak my name to their buddies not to mess with. At the time this was Horde on Dentarg and I needed a fun name but still a name that would speak out. So I came up with "Palywhacker" Meaning you come mess with me I am going to whack you. But I guess it could also have that meaning of your well you know. But anyway I got stuck on the name and I carried over this toon on to Lothar.

Itannar:
I used to play the old Forgotten Realms games on the Commodore 64c (heh, they don't call me old man for nothin' eh?). I played them all to death and you had to make up teams so I have (somewhere) huge lists of what I thought were cool sounding fantasy names. Almost all of my characters' names come from those including Itannar from UO and Dinro Buckberry and Esric Tal from LOTRO. I also have a dwarf champion on LOTRO named after a pewter figurine I have had for years: Galbin.

Khayman:
Khayman is the origin of all of my characters names. Originally from the Anne Rice Series, Khayman was one of the greater Vampires who woke up one day berried in the ground with no real knowledge of who he was, just his amazing power.

My original RPG Characters came out of that concept and thus my nickname Khay. Now I use it in all my toons names as they are an extension of me.

Tyenee:
Well my name wasn't near as thought out as others. I simply randomized a name on EQ to show my husband (Tamater) how annoying it was to be ignored by a computer game , not thinking i would ever like it. I got addicted to it and became known as Tyenea. When i came to WoW i used my EQ name on an account i was given. After working hard to get her to about 50 the account was taken back and the person would not delete that toon. As i felt so tiny having to start back over from the beginning i thought Tyenee was kinda of a wonderful combo of my old name and how i felt. Happy

Kat:
Deadkat is a name in honor of my first STC toon in EQ. I played on the Povar server with some friends in a guild named "Greyhawk". WE realized we needed some jewelry to make our regular toons better. I created Katareena a gnome enchanter. I couldnt imagine having my paladin Ellwood making Jewelry. Suddenly I was making gold, having a good time playing her. THEN I found out about parking mobs, clarity, memory blur, and all the fun tools at the enchanters call. Then everyone wanted me to play the enchanter, all my friends wanted Kat, not Ellwood in the group. Our guild broke up, my friends left the game and Kat became my main. I met a few members of STC and was welcomed into the family. It has been home ever since.

Deadkat has also become my Jewelcrafter in her honor.

Ahhh, the good times of the past.....
Jethaya
Saint

Awarded:

Jethaya : i needed a name,
had no clue and pushed the random button

Oddo : druids are shapeshifter Odo is a character from deep space nine
CoolPapa
Saint

My main Baynenei.......took forever, i didn't want to randomize and after almost literally hours of thought i came up with the name Baynenei. A mix of the race Draenei and my last name infused, not very original, but effective i guess?
As for my alt Coolpapa(DK) that was the nickname i've had since high school, many, many years ago playing baseball. There was a baseball player in the early 1900's named "CoolPapa" Bell, who was lightning fast on the basepaths and many of my team mates referred me as "CoolPapa" which stuck even into my latter years of playing softball. I'm not near as fast as i used to be, but i do play on a vintage baseball team and once again have found my nickname on the field as "CoolPapa". Maybe T.M.I, but i just thought i'd throw that in as well? Happy
twilakam

Most of mine tend to coincide with original characters of mine, typically from IRC Rp's.

Kalaris

Kal is my oldest remaining OC, and ultimately my chosen alter-ego. Often dubbed the crazy dragon lady, she is and always has been a guardian type character... though what she's protecting at any given time might put her at odds with certain factions or people. Typically a gruff individual, she has a soft spot for kids, and has had more semi-adopted children than I can recount presently.

I've used her name and likeness in a few games, but whatever the incarnation she still typically has a mind of her own. Whatever her title, she's often put into the class that most closely resembles a geomancer, and the ability to blast the dickens out of things that get in her way. Then to hit it, when everything else fails.
Evilgreen85

well the name aloris came from a randomized name (Eloris) this was my first toon a long long time ago on some server before i started on Lothar so i could play with some RL friends. Vloris is just a variation of Aloris some others i have used Taloris,Saloris and, Faloris.

Ibiteback was a name my girlfriend made for her rogue, but she stopped playing and i now play the toon as my own
Fulloftotems

We need to introduce the Rogue to Crila...

ok im don't get it ?
Fulloftotems

Crila is always biting people when you are grouped with him, and biting him back would be a fine payback

o i will have my rogue stop by in game
Yaroc
High Councilor

Yaroc

One of my roommates from college came back after Christmas break with a game under one arm, and hope in his eyes that I would install it on my computer for him, as his computer would not run the game... and my introduction and interest to MMORPGs was started. I loved the character Allanon from the Shannara series (Terry Brooks), and decided to name my first character that.

Time went by, and my roommate bought a new computer and took his account along with it, so I started my own account. I needed a new character name, as he was playing Allanon at the time. Being somewhat unoriginal, I simply just spelled my real name backwards, and Yeroc was born. I thought it was too obvious, so I added an apostraphe, and my alt Ye'roc was born. Still unhappy with the name, I decided to substitute an A for the E, and Ya'roc was born.... finally, a name I liked. When I jumped into the EQ beta, I was disappointed to find that the apostrophe could not be included, so my name was smooshed together as Yaroc ... and it stuck.

Menethorn

Menethorn was just a random name generated by the Everchanging Book of Names (E.B.O.N). There's a bit of a back story to the character that's a bit more entertaining.

I entered into the Electrical Engineering program at college several years ago with a few friends of mine. One day at lunch, a classmate of mine came up to "Fish" (aka. Zujohii) and asked where "Chips" was. We were confused, who the heck was "Chips". Turns out, "Chips" was Sean -- buddy called him that because he and "Fish" were always around, hence "Fish and Chips"... yet he didn't have a nickname for me -- So I asked him "What the hell am I, Tartar Sauce?", which we found funny ... but it never stuck. I needed a character name for my huntard on Kargath, and "Tarter" was born (as "Tartar" was taken), and my pet's name was "Sauce". I quit playing once summer was done to focus on my studies. Hybus convinced me to reactivate my account and transfer my character over to Lothar, which I did -- unfortunatly "Tartar" and "Tarter" were taken -- so Menethorn was grabbed from EBON. My feline pet is still called Sauce to this day.

I use a few other character names occasionally, as well:

"Angele D'Morte" was one I used in other games - simply translated over as "Angel of Death". Sometimes just shortened to Angele or a variation thereof.
Asurael is a variation of Azrael, which is the "Angel of Death" - mainly chosen for an Asmodean Aion character...
Bezaliel roughly translated as "Shadow of God" and listed as the 13th fallen angel -- another good fit for an Asmodean in Aion.
I have a Tauren named "Bief", just because I thought it'd be funny and "Beef" was taken.
There are more, but I barely play my alts anyway .... so they're probably not worth mentioning... especially since I've written a book already.[/u]
Shynei

Shynei was my first Draenei and i thought she looked really shiny so....nuff said

Ellfie if named after Elphaba Thropp from Wicked alough shes green and not blue...close enough

Clarebear is named after my sisters old bear that when we were younger called her "pooh bears girlfriend" and also from Heroes.

RosieCotton, another alt i will use eventually, is from Lord of the Rings.

Sheikk, my rogue is Princess Zelda's alter ego.

and my deathknight who i will play one day is called Inferi after those gross looking dead things that come out of the water in the cave in harry potter 6.

Solusfury21

re: Solus

actually i did took a year off from playing and it was my old GF's little bothers warlocks name on Kirit Tor...and well there was only one Solusfury...now theres 2 :D

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Alenea!
Saint

Kinda late! But I'm all over the forums! :D

Alene: Is my name, just jumbled up! Rearrange it, and it spells Elena! :D My very first character which is a druid!
Alenea: I just put an A at the end, which added an 'Ah' sound. When I was younger I made her to be Alene's twin. Huntard.
Juliane: Her name is a French/German version of a Roman name; Jupiter, who is a protector of the Roman state. My warrior.
Yadira: This is an Arabic name which has NO meaning. I felt it was appropriate for a rogue.
Éliane: This is a French version of my name, Elena.
Élysia: Her original name was Iru, which is a kiddie version of Eros, Aphrodite's son, which means Love. Elysia though is a Greek name too, which means Blissful. She is my shammy.
Cleao: Is a name that's from an Anime, not sure which one it was YEARS ago (Vanilla years ago) that she was made to heal for my sister's raids. BUT it's a nickname for Cleopatra. My priesty.
Cassarah: In Spanish it means; What Will be Will be. Thought it was amazing for a Deathknight.
Visigoth: Visigoth is a Germanic tribe that invaded Italy and then settled in Spain, establishing a Monarchy; my mom is a descendant of this tribe. She is my barely played Mage, which is my mom's favorite class.
Polymnia: Finally, her name means song and hymn, the name is from one of the nine muses which was the goddess of dance and sacred song. My pally.
Cheidierey
Saint

Cheidierey was a random name generated by some "what should I name my wow character" website. I like it though.

I tend to name my pets and battle pets after real pets, stuffed animals I've had for ages, or book characters.

I usually use Nanashi the bear as my pet in game - named after Nanashi the stuffed bear I've had forever. Nanashi never had a name, until I met Saidish, who found on the internet (incorrectly of course) the word which supposedly meant "No Name" in Japanese. Nashi actually means pear in Japanese, so he's a pear bear. We're weird.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: