View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alresco
Saint

re: The Saga of Achilles

Quote:
A story from Lou Kazouris, aka Achilles. A decent and honorable man who was hounded out of the guild for personal and petty reasons by a former LP.

Achilles is one of the most famous of the legendary heroes. He was said to have been the son of Peleus, king of the Myrmidones of Phthia in Thessaly, by Thetis, one of the Nereids. His grandfather Aeacus was, according to the legend, the son of Zeus himself.

Achilles was brought up by his mother in Yew with his cousin, and friends Dude and Ben Ami. They learned the arts of war and eloquence from Phoenix, while the Centaur Chiron taught them music and medicine. When summoned to the war against evil, they set sail at once with their allies in fifty ships. During the first nine years of the war Achilles and friends ravaged the country round Brittania, and took twelve cities. In the tenth year occurred the quarrel with Agamemnon. In order to appease the wrath of Apollo, who had visited the camp with a pestilence, Agamemnon had restored Chryseis, his prize of war, to her father, a priest of the god, but as a compensation deprived Achilles, who had openly demanded this restoration, of his favorite slave Briseis. Achilles withdrew in wrath to his tent, where he consoled himself with music and singing, and refused to take any further part in the war.

During his absence the allies were hard pressed, and at last he so far relaxed his anger as to allow his friend Dude to impersonate him, lending him his chariot and armor. The slaying of Dude roused Achilles from his indifference; eager to avenge his beloved comrade, he sallied forth, equipped with new armor fashioned by Zot, slew Hector, and after dragging his body round the walls of Britain, restored it to the aged King Priam at his earnest entreaty.

Achilles is a typical, handsome, brave warrior, celebrated for his fleetness of foot, prone to excess of wrath and grief, and at the same time compassionate, hospitable, full of affection for his fellowship, and respectful of the gods. Achilles is a young man of splendid physical proportions, with bristling hair like a horse's mane and a slender neck.

Achilles went unarmed to the temple of Apollo. Achilles, having slain thousands, was himself slain by an anonymous. The death of Achilles came as a shock to some, but they knew he died with honor and glory. His ashes are said to have been buried in a golden urn, together with those of Dude, at a place on the Hellespont, where a tomb was erected to their memory; his soul dwells in the lower world, where it is seen by the gods. However, our hero has passed on his warrior ways to a youngster, who claims to be a direct descendant of Achilles. He is known to be in the area Southwest of Yew, over a waterfall, beyond the Shrine of Justice. As so long as the memory of Achilles is maintained by the warrior known as Elias, good will surround the world we know as Sosaria.
Theophania79
Saint

re: The Saga Comes to an End...

Greetings STC, 

I'm honored to be able to post here, thank you to Gerhart for making this possible for me.. I had originally sent the following post to Alresco, but it doesn't seem that he is very active in these parts anymore... 

I'm not sure anyone would remember me.. I played with STC in UO back in 1998/1999 when Strider was the LP. My character's name was Sunnydaze, and Achilles/Elias is my Dad. 

It is with great sadness I let you know that my Dad, Lou Kazouris, passed away on April 15, 2016. 

I just got back into UO recently, and decided to see if STC was still around, they aren't, of course.. but I searched for the guild on the internet and came across this forum, and the post that was put up by Alresco with Lord Achilles' story. At first, it took my breath away, seeing that his story is still there and he is still honored and remembered for being a decent and honorable man... because he was the greatest one I've ever known. I kept reading, half with sadness, half with happiness that I'd found one more thing of his to hold on to. I grasp at thin air on a daily basis, trying my hardest to keep a hold of him, his memory, and whatever is left on this Earth that is his. He was my rock and my very best friend.

As I read his story, I couldn't help but read the last portion that goes "The death of Achilles came as a shock to some, but they knew he died with honor and glory. His ashes are said to have been buried in a golden urn," 

My father died with honor, fighting until his last moments, against an injury complicated by a disease he fought for the last 29 years of his life... with love, as he had two grandchildren that he loved more than life itself, and in a strange sense of foreshadowing (and a complete coincidence) his ashes are interred in Florida's National Cemetery... in a golden urn. 

He cherished the friends he made through STC, and him and Dude kept in touch until his passing. He always spoke fondly of the memories he'd made with you guys, and longed for those days for many years. 

I just thought seeing as there are some "old timers" still around, that you might want to know. 

Thank you very much, not only for giving me the opportunity to share this with you all, but for befriending my father in what was some of the hardest times of his life, he loved you all very much. 

Sincerely,

Melina
Daughter of Lord Achilles

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: