Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Hobbies & Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheidierey
Saint

re: Monster Book of Monsters

So, first of all, my cousin and her husband had a baby in march. He's adorable. His name is Liam. This is about him.

A few years ago, my dad commented about his Christmas stocking, and how it was falling apart, not as fun as ours, etc. His mother made his when he was a kid, and many decades later, she made stockings for my brother and I using felt kits. Ours were a complete upgrade from his, and still look excellent 25+ years on. So he was saying how he wouldn't mind having one like that... and I took the bait. It took YEARS. Five of them. And I finished it last Christmas. It took so long because I didn't know what I was doing, I was not familiar with needle and thread (most I'd ever done was sew a button), so it was a total learning process. But I did it! Work in Progress

Also last year, I made some Christmas curtains for my mom for her kitchen nook. They're cutesy with cardinals and snowmen. Fabric

Then, in February, for my cousin's baby shower, I bought him his first pair of sunglasses, an owl book, and some cute onesies with monsters on them. And I handmade a "card" out of felt. I did it in two hours the night before the shower. I felt so accomplished. My cousin said the card was her favorite gift.  Felt card

Anyway, back to the title of this post! After making the felt stocking, the curtains, and the card, I decided I was going to do a Project for Liam. I had discovered this blog and absolutely loved the Harry Potter felt book. (I will admit, it bothers me that Hermione's page is just about getting ready for the Yule Ball and not something like making polyjuice potion, but I digress.) So I started thinking it through. My cousin and her husband are pretty geeky - fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. I thought I would do a Star Trek book, but then I decided instead to create the Monster Book of Monsters.

Saidish and I are going to map it out from start to finish on paper, and then I'll get the materials and start creating a quiet book of the Monster Book of Monsters. We're going to have a page for the Blast Ended Skrewts, maybe the Sphinx. I'm not sure what else. I want to have about 10 pages total. Then the cover will be all fur and eyes and teeth, and I'll put a belt around it to keep little Liam's fingers safe.

I want to give it to them for his first birthday in March. I am so excited about this idea, I just had to share it. Couldn't share on facebook, cause family might blab. 

I plan to document the whole process too, but can't do that on facebook cause family.

Anyway.... la de da. My craft project for Liam. 

Also, if anyone has any ideas for awesome monsters I should include, please let me know. I'm sure there will be a dragon of some sort, especially if I can figure out how to cutify the Hungarian Horntail.

Stonestriker/Thal
High Councilor

how to cutify the Hungarian Horntail.

Think Puff the Magic Dragon, not Harry Potter dragon (like a Godzuki version of Godzilla)

Anyway, this is fantastic.  Please keep up updated.

That is so cool!  And sounds like so much fun!  You should start a little blog and keep us updated. :) :)

Everything can be found on Wikipedia 

List of creatures

If anyone would like to keep up with my progress, I've started a little blog: http://landcrafting.tumblr.com/ - password is saints

I'll document it there, and occasionally here, if I've got anything really exciting to share.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Hobbies & Crafts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: