View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happeria

re: WoW Chapter Meeting Notes - August 2014

Welcome everyone to the August WoW Chapter Meeting!  I'm glad you all could join us.  

I want to take a moment to point out that our Grand Preceptor, Lord Cistern, is in attendance tonight!  He is normally unable to attend Wednesday meetings am I am so excited to have him here with us tonight.

We have much to do at tonight's meeting so, without further adieu...

Promotions

Qordinn has accepted the position of Senior Chancellor.  We agreed to not put him through a promotion ceremony as he's been through a few of them before. :)  Thank you, Q, for stepping up and donating more of your time to STC.

Tsuki, please come to the carpet.  Tsuki, you have served STC as a true Saint and have done so with honor, integrity and loyalty.  Thank you for your service as a Battle Chancellor.  I now promote you to Events Coordinator.  I look forward to enjoying new activities with my fellow Saints that you lead!  STC thanks you for your donation of time, support and resources.  Saints, please help me congratulate Tsuki!

Membership Team

Zelsara:  Hello Saints.  At today's chapter meeting there are some  new novice's that I would like to recognize.  If you meet any of them in your adventures, please take a moment to introduce yourself.  As a quick side note, please sign up for Saturday's transmog run 8pm server time.  We will be doing Bastion of Twilight normal run. And without further adieu, pleae join me in welcoming Cryth, Keggo, Gaias, Ganfyr, Sneedyy, & Midnas.

Chancellors of Raiding

Happeria: Tonight Gerhart steps down as Senior Battle Chancellor.  Thank you, Gerhart, for all that you have given to STC over the years.  

Happeria then promoted Alaeria to Senior Battle Chancellor.

Alaeria:  Thank you for this, and thank you Gerhart for you immeasurable time and effort put into the SBC position and the BC team.  You leave large shoes to fill, I hope I can continue where you left off.  Alaeria promoted Nyali and Celaanassa to the Battle Chancellor team.

Now, on to the meat of the matter, the raid team!  I'll outline below some things about each of the raider tiers.

* Flex Fridays

This is our open invite guild flex run on Friday nights.  We have but a few rules to attend this: please be of the appropriate ilvl, and make sure you have the appropriate gems and enchants for your role.  If you need help with this, please don't hesitate to contact myself or any member of the BC team.  We are here to help!

Also, I'd like to state that we are planning on taking the Friday Flex team through to wing 4!  We'd like to get the friday flex team more exposure to end-game content, so make sure to check the calendar for the special days!  We'll be running Wing 3 first, then give Wing 4 a shot!

* Progression Mondays

We have been downing Garrosh on our first attempt the past 3-4 weeks straight.  That leaves the last hour of the 2 hour run to attempt wing 3.  However, I think that running Wing 3 with our progression mains is almost like a set back.  In the very near future I'd like to open up the time after bringing down Garrosh to progression raider approved alt characters.  I will be setting up a visible list of main raiders and alt raiders so that we can easily switch during the run and continue to wing 3 as quickly as possible.  Without this, we end up spending 15+ minutes figuring who's playing what and that just bogs down the night.  Please watch the forums for more details as they become available!

* 10-man Progression

The 10-man team has been making marked progress towards wing 4 every week!  As of right now, we are all the way to Thok!  I know some people have wanted to find out what it takes to get into 10-man, and I have to say that as of right now, we don't have any open slots.  As it stands, we have 2 DPS on standby, every week, and that list rotates so that once every 3 weeks 2 folks are not able to run.  Any more people will make this rotation one that dissallows continuity and a cohesive team to thrive.  However, this is temporary because...

* Warlords of Draenor...

...is soon to land!  I know, we don't have a real timeframe for release.  However, the beta is out, and I'm doing my best to see how the stat squish is, the raids, healing, tanking, etc.  Getting as much info as possible allows the raid team to land into WoD running.  This will bring basic changes to raiding, mainly no more size constrained raiding teams!  However, this does bring about the fact that the guild flex team will be the first team to begin raiding.  From there, we will be evaluating ALL raiders for inclusion in the progression team.  There is no carry-over, there is no favoritism.  The mechanics are changing, the fights are changing, so we need to make sure that the progression team adjusts with those changes.  We will have multiple raiding tiers: The open invite Guild Flex team, The Progression Team, and the Heroic Team.  Because we won't have size limiting raid teams, we can always bring up more raiders into the progression team, and into the heroic team from there!

* Final thoughts

I don't ever expect raiders to be the perfect, end-all be-all of raiding on the server, or in WOW ever.  However, everyone pays their dues and wants to succeed.  It's our job to make sure that we provide a guild sanctioned environment to allow those players who want to progress the chance to do so with their fellow Saints.  Remember, there will always be an open guild invite flex run.  That is the best place to practice, improve, get gear, and get better!

Awards

Valor - Gerhart:  Over the past few years, Gerhart has been instrumental in the success of our raiding achievements.  From his support of raiding as LP, to being SBC multiple times, to his leading raids and, finally, to sitting out so that others can enjoy raiding as well.  He has been a role model for what a member in STC should aspire to be.  Thanks Gerhart!

Valor - Celaanassa:  The Valor award is given for those who distinguish themselves in combat.  These are the people that lead by example, being flexible and adjusting to the situation as necessary (switching to an offspec or character), and/or by stepping up in times of need.  The past few months Celaanassa has been willing to step up and switch to alts to that STC can progress in raids.  Many times he has brought Manbearwolf to provide a battle rez or a different type of healing and he has also brought Shadowfile to provide DPS as needed.  He has put the work in to master each of these classes in order to help our raid team push through content.  Thank you, Cel!

Honor - Evang:  The Honor award is given to those that serve the people of STC for the sake of STC, such as stepping out of a battle so someone else can get in; helping others understand their class, roles & rotations; taking the time to teach a less experienced player.  Evang embodies all of these.  He is always willing to talk or help people out.  He is one of the first to say hello or volunteer to assist a Saint in need.  Thank you, Evang.

Events

Tsuki:  There are a couple of contests on the forums:

Guess the Release Date!  With the street date announce coming out on the 14th we have a new contest to guess what the release date will be.  You have until Wednesday at midnight to reply to the post on the forums to guess it.  First person closest gets 1,000g or a pet from GB, second gets 500g or second choice of pet, and anyone in the same month gets 100g.  If multiple people guess the same day then it is first come first serve.

Pet Battle:  There are 3 categories: level 20, level 40 and level 60 - you have to add up the levels of the pets to equal that level.  You can't have two of the same level; they all have to be different levels.  The challenge is that you don't know what your opponent's team will be composed of!

End of Meeting Discussions

Sacharissa:  I apologize for my absence from the 10-man team the last month and look forward to running with the team again.

Murlenn:  The thing I like about STC is that it expands beyond the WoW boundaries.  I'd like to also get updates from the SW:TOR and EQ2 chapters as well as make sure other Saints know they exist.  Qordinn answered that this was probably more of a question for Cistern/Casey to answer as GP.  There are a few people playing EQ2 (Delph, Stone, Casey) so if you'd like an invite to the guild you should coordinate a time with them to log over to EQ2 and get an invite.  As far as the TOR chapter is concerned we have not heard from them in several months and they are, unfortunately, not active on the forums.

Ganfyr:  As a lowbie how can I contribute to STC?  There were multiple answers from many people with suggestions like welcoming people when they log on, inviting them to join you on their alts as you run through content, etc.

Jethaya:  What is the next big game we'll have a presence in?  This brought on discussion about the importance of speaking up on the forums on what you're interested in and how there was potential interest  in ESO but were unable to get enough interest to begin a chapter there.

I sat in on the Mumble channel for last night's meeting while playing Rift.  I hope no one minds the spying!  Anyway, it's a pleasure to see Saints getting together and upholding our fellowship and traditions. 

For a few reasons I didn't say anything in the channel during the meeting, but a couple of topics mentioned there and recapped here caught my interest, and I hope no one minds if I follow up.  For those of you who don't know me (which may be most of you), I joined STC when the guild was active in Everquest (sometime in early to mid-2000, I think).  I left the guild for a time, but was re-inducted during the failed attempt to sanction Vanguard.  I have also played WoW and Rift with STC.  I have been playing Rift for the last couple of weeks.

First thought:  Qordinn?!  Is that old necro still around? :)

To Murlenn @ Jethaya:  I think a key strength of STC has been our ability to adapt over time and take up new games as they come out.  With that said, it has been my experience that STC historically tends to have one game that dominates the interest of the membership at any given time.  When I joined STC, the sanctioned games were Everquest and Ultima Online, but Everquest clearly commanded the most interest.  Over time that has changed a few times, and today World of Warcraft commands most of the attention, as it has for several years.  I'm looking forward to playing Everquest Next with Saints when it's released (possibly in Beta, sign up here!), but my experience in helping build the Rift chapter (where I was SBC for a time) is that sanctioning then maintaining that sanctioning for a minority game is a very challenging task.  I think it's fair to say that, to some extent, I stopped playing with that task still incomplete--I was playing too much and may have burned out.

If there's a game you love and want to play, and your goal is to have Saints playing with yout, then I would encourage you to work hard to achieve that goal.  Early setbacks shouldn't discourage you if you're committed.  My understanding is that the World of Warcraft chapter that you're participating in today and that has been so successful is the product of the second attempt to build a sanctioned chapter in the game.  The first one ultimately failed, but a determined effort reversed that.

As for the comment to Jethaya regarding the message boards, I'll say this:  The requirement that prospective Saints post on the guild message board was something I remember us putting in place back in Everquest specifically to ensure that prospective Saints were aware of our message board.  That doesn't mean it hadn't been done before, or that the current practice is a direct outgrowth, it was just something we did at that time.  The task was part of a larger novice quest that was intended to ensure that novices had access to the boards, knew about them, and were otherwise interacting with Saints prior to induction.

I have to say that at present the old fogey in me is a little disappointed at how little activity there appears to be on our message boards.  I recognize that at least some of the role of the boards has been replaced by other media--voice software, the Facebook page that was mentioned in the meeting, and naturally in-game chat.  That said, I think the boards are crucial to the guild's functioning and survival.  They are a critical resource for the membership with game strategy, non-game topics of interest, and with members who are inactive or active in a different STC chapter.  I encourage every member to check in on the boards regularly, and post your thoughts if you feel even the slightest inclination.

-- Bobbun

Gerhart STC
High Councilor

Awarded:

Bobbun,

Spying?!?!  Any Saint is welcome to sit and listen to a meeting in Mumble.  Actually I think it's great you were there with us.  I am very appreciative of the traditions that we continue that are shared with the past.  

Someone convinced Q that he needed to come back and hang out because we didn't have enough funny people!  All kidding aside, it has been wonderful to see Q back in game and well, he is one of the "old timers".  :-)

Just because you mentioned STC's history, I really love pointing out that we have a thread which tried to show the variety and history of games that STC has been a part of.  You are correct about WOW being a second attempt at sanctioning.  

http://sanctuscovenir.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5100880&gid=142626

As a former Senior Officer and HC member, I would love to see more action on the Forums.  The Officers definitely use the forums in planning events, reviewing battle strategies, and just coordination.  This is why we continue to try and familiarize the novices in WOW to the forums.  The requirement fell by the wayside for a portion of time, but it's been going strong for several years.  

I am appreciative of your posting and your perspective.  I have really enjoyed being a piece of something bigger.  I was lucky enough to have been invited into STC and found a home amongst people who cared about me more than just a video game player.  So, please keep lurking and posting and hopefully we will see more of you!  

Gerhart

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: