Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> Technical Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fradrok

re: Wi-Fi Disconnects

I'm writing this to Ghelli, who may or may not stay connected long enough to read it ... so if anyone sees him pass along this info:

When I lived in Elmo, TX, I used used a Wi-Fi connection that bounced microwave signals from repeaters that sat atop local water towers. It's fantastic high-speed internet for rural areas, and nothing to scoff at.

However, one of the pitfalls is that since it uses many of the same foundation technologies as do our cell phones, the equipment is constantly searching for other repeaters to connect to. This causes WoW to disconnect. I say this to anyone looking for Wi-Fi as a solution.

I was able to overcome the problem, but it took convincing the technician (then the owner of the independent Wi-Fi company) that they could actually hard-code the connection by eliminating its random search for signals. I'm confident that Ghelli could do the same ... and if he could scrounge up some chocolate cookies for them, it may be done even faster.

Summary - get your Wi-Fi to isolate the tower you are connecting to and have them stop that tower from searching for additional repeaters to connect to.

Hope this helps!

Mortition
High Councilor

Awarded:

Frad he is on a satellite connection. IMO these are the worst internet connections there is available. (even worse than dial-up) They are well known for the antennas to go out easily or the wind blows and the antenna gets screwy on them. Home users tend to make use of shared satellite capacity, to reduce the cost, while still allowing high peak bit rates when congestion is absent. There are usually restrictive time based bandwidth allowances so that each user gets their fair share, according to their payment. When a user exceeds their Mbytes allowances, the company may slow down their access, deprioritise their traffic or charge for the excess bandwidth used. For consumer satellite internet, the allowance can range from 200 MB per day to 17,000 MB per month. A shared download carrier may have a bit rate of 1 to 40 Mbit/s and be shared by up to 100 to 4000 end users. Note that the average bit rate per end user PC is only about 10 - 20kbit/s. This is adequate for most people but will definitely not be suitable for people wanting to do large scale file transfers, video or music, talk, or play games for long periods of time.

Awarded:

Satellite latency

Much of the slowdown associated with satellite Internet is that for each request, many roundtrips must be completed before any useful data can be received by the requester. Special IP stacks and proxies can also reduce latency through lessening the number of roundtrips, or simplifying and reducing the length of protocol headers. These types of technologies are generally referred to as TCP acceleration, HTTP pre-fetching and DNS caching.

Jump to: