View previous topic :: View next topic  
STCadmin
Inactive

re: A Short History of STC

Provided by Itannar:

I may be the last actual founding member of STC who remains in the guild except for Maddog. I think Alresco and perhaps Sir John would be those who entered just after we entered Ultima Online from Diablo as Saints of the True Cross. If anyone else remains, please feel free to add, amend, or give your perspective of our history to this thread.

As aforementioned, STC began as Saints of the True Cross, a guild which began in Battlenet's Diablo game. I had a Rogue archer named Kala who moved up into the guild leadership fairly fast. That game and guild lasted for about a year, maybe more, maybe less, and then Ultima Online came out. The guild leader, a Canadian named St. Clair, had promised we would extend our guild into that game if it appeared viable or worthwhile. He played briefly when it first came out and commissioned a few of us who had bought the game, to establish a presence in it. As Kala, I commissioned Saint Max to head up things while we made the transitions necessary on the web site, and while I waited to get my computer up to speed to play the game. He did so. We set up HQ in Yew (which only had Felucca at the time) and recruiting began soon after.

About this time, St. Clair suddenly changed his mind, refusing to set up a separate forum or website for UO, breaking his word that he would. This disaffected a lot of people, including myself, who tried to play the mediator, and so STCross crumbled. Max and I collaborated on a new name and we used his suggestion of Saints of the True Covenant, pledging we would never do what St. Clair had done and abandon our guild mates... hence the use of the word, "covenant" in the title. This was in 1997 or 98 I believe.

Recruiting then began in earnest. We finally established a large tower just below the Shrine of Justice at a bay that was in the shape of a horsehead. We called it, "Pegasus Bay." The guild grew to be very large despite a lot of issues involving rules, regulations, and general shenanigans of immature members. Clan Moor and the Lost Order of Akalabeth were our biggest allies and friends, but a famous anti-pk group named the Pluggers really aided us when the loss of a house key could mean someone else could have access to your place.

Of course years passed, members came and went, but the real divergence was the arrival of a new game, EverQuest. Most of the older members departed UO for that (and then DAoC, Star Wars, etc.) but many third generation members remained behind. There were some splits in UO and finally recruiting in that game all but ceased.

I have made many, many friends in STC and in these various games, but the best thing about us is the principles of honor and honesty that we all esteem very highly. It is what makes STC a symbol of integrity and a foundation of security for people who love to game together knowing the person looking at the same picture onscreen that you do, has your back and your best interests at heart.

To that I say, Long Live STC!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanctus Covenir Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: